This Page

has been moved to new address

Live From The Pacific Ocean

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bloviating Zeppelin: Live From The Pacific Ocean

Bloviating Zeppelin

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Live From The Pacific Ocean


Clearly there was no Friday post -- but only because it was a "day off" and my wife and I were driving to one of our favorite coastal towns for a five-day vacation.  Rumors have it that all "discretionary" time off is about to be canceled at my work and I decided to "discresh" whilst I still could.  Because I already live in the Sierra Nevada mountains, our general locale of refuge tends to be the Fornicalia coastal areas, from roughly Big Sur to Eureka and all points in between.  This will be our celebration for my birthday -- early -- because I could get the time, at this point.


And so: here we be, adjacent the ocean once again.  We both find the ocean to be mitigative, refreshing, powerful, cerebral, relaxing, therapeutic.  It's not just the sights; it's the sounds and smells as well.

The coast mirrors some of what's occurring recently inland; the humidity is up exponentially (at least for Fornicalia) due to the tropical systems swirling into the area from the south.  We had torrential rains and winds about five days ago.  As soon as we crested the Mendocino coast range and dropped down towards the cliffs, the temperature plummeted from the 80s into the 60s -- yet the humidity remained and, in fact, increased.

Right now, as the light diminishes, the fog has reduced our ability to see the ocean much past the mouth of the harbor where we watch the waves pound the L-shaped protective jetty.  The foghorn still sounds and alternatively appears to be closer or much further away, dependent upon -- well, I'm not sure what makes it sound near or far.  The fog is so thick it's actually like rain.  I'm watching the drops run down from the overhang protecting our room's veranda.

I treated ourselves to a local couples massage today and we visited an excellent antique bookstore where my wife acquired a number of books, and I purchased biographies of T.E. Lawrence, D.D. Eisenhower and Thomas Jefferson.  I'm quite looking forward to learning about Mr Jefferson as I admittedly know little about his life or words -- and clearly to the consternation of the ubiquitous Mr AJ.  In a fit of pique and decadence, I scheduled ourselves for a second 90-minute massage two days from now.

I also purchased a hardback by Vince Flynn, who is an excellent author and his newest is entitled Pursuit of Honor.  Also out in hardback is Evil At Heart, by Chelsea Cain.  An author that, unfortunately, many people have never read or heard of -- Chelsea Cain isn't simply some sort of "guilty pleasure" -- she is a full-fledged literary force in the realm of fictional serial killers.  Her Gretchen Lowell character is robust, fully-fleshed out (sorry), transfixing and challenged by her nemesis, Portland PD Detective Archie Sheridan.  Run, do not walk, and pick up this and the previous two books in the series by author Chelsea Cain.

And now, at 7 pm, it's mostly dark outside.  The fog is almost complete.  Whereas before, absent fog, at this time I could have at least seen the mouth of the harbor -- it no longer exists.  I have never seen the fog here so thick.  This is new and intriguing.  And somehow mysterious and mesmerizing.

The sheer curtain over the sliding patio door is alternately blowing out and being sucked into the room.  It's almost like the room is breathing.  This is indeed a very strange phenomenon.

BZ

P.S.
This post -- and some others to be published on vacation -- was created on my Apple MacBook Pro.  I'm starting -- just a bit, mind you -- to get the hang of this thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bushwack said...

Have a great time, that's a beautiful area.

BTW, you have upgraded to a great computer that macbook pro is an awesome machine.

Sat Oct 17, 11:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

I am so pleased you and your wife are having some time together. If you don't do that, life ain't worth living:) And Happy Early Birthday fellow scorpio:)

Sun Oct 18, 02:08:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Tim said...

I really miss getting underway on a ship like when I was in the Coast Guard. The motion of the waves, the smell of the Sea Air. The sound of the waves chrashing upon the shoreline and the flocking sea birds. The power of the ocean and the soaring mountain peaks are magnifiecent bookends of God's creation. Do keep me informed on the snow in your area. I am mulling skiing at Heavenly CA this year. I have to shred that mountain while looking at Lk. Tohoe in the distance at least once while I'm still young enough to really get the most out of it. Big Sur has to be one of the most scenic places on the planet.

Sun Oct 18, 08:45:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Bush: hey, thanks! Still don't know how to do a LOT of stuff on it, but I'm going to schedule myself for some classes at the Apple Store and bring my Macbook with me so I learn directly ON it.

Mahndisa: if I don't take the time now, I have a feeling I won't be able to later. And YES, a fellow Scorpio!!

Tim: a Coastie, eh? Since I'm gone, I don't know if it got cold enough to continue. They were already MAKING snow at Boreal. And it was sticking. Today? Don't know, haven't heard. If you do happen to get into the area, e-mail me and let me know.

BZ

Sun Oct 18, 11:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Maggie Thornton said...

BZ, I know how frustrating it is to deal with California politics, but look what you have and where you can go. Is there any place on earth more beautiful than the California coastline, especially in the Mendocino area? How fortunate to just drive up the highway and be there.

For this landlocked red-stater, we have to drive three days to get there - but it is always worth it.

Enjoy your time.

Sun Oct 18, 09:16:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home