This Page

has been moved to new address

Rain Along The Coast

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bloviating Zeppelin: Rain Along The Coast

Bloviating Zeppelin

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rain Along The Coast





I'm currently on vacation on the Fornicalia coast, enjoying my -- ahem -- birthday week. I've been posting when possible.

When we first entered Mendocino County it was quite rainy; we encountered a downed tree across the roadway and a downed wire from a power pole some miles later. A rather challenging drive, it was. Things cleared up for a day and now it is absolutely pouring and very windy.

Oddly enough, it is the kind of day I thoroughly adore. We can hear the waves pounding and barely see the entrance to the harbor through our veranda door.

Most people enjoy bright sunny days on their vacations; at the coast, my wife and I both appreciate the cascading of the waves upon rocks and jetties, the sound of the foghorn, the slanting downpour, the encroachment of ocean fog from the furthest point of visible land right to our very doorstep.

Whilst here we've visited two of our favorite bookstores, had a couples' massage and enjoyed the company of my brother and his girlfriend for two nights. The Jacuzzi tub in the room overlooks the mouth of Noyo Harbor and we watch fishing vessels leave and return.

For just a brief bit of time, we put politics aside and engage ourselves in the few moments my wife and I have to share together. These are the last meager days we will partake of each other; the contingent at my work has been decimated to the point where no one is getting the holidays off, save those with annual vacations scheduled almost a year prior.

My 35 years on board counts for little, when facility seniority rules. I have been assigned to my current position only slightly more than a year. There are other supervisors who have been here over ten years, but with much less overall time. They win, I lose. I am the interloper, they are the constants.

Who wants to have the holidays off, anyway?

BZ

P.S.
Click on each image for a full-sized version.







8 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

have a wonderful time together..it sounds blissful.
Happy Birthday, BZ, and MANY more xxx

Fri Oct 29, 08:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Well Seasoned Fool said...

Enjoy the down time. Hope you have many more birthdays. Med, I don't have birthdays anymore!

Fri Oct 29, 09:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Thanks, Z. So, WSF, what's your secret?

BZ

Sat Oct 30, 09:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger A Jacksonian said...

Savor the time, Mr. Z!

Living well requires that one actually live well and enjoy what one has, no matter how meager.

Sat Oct 30, 12:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Old NFO said...

Glad y'all are getting a little down time! Enjoy!

Sat Oct 30, 02:27:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Bushwack said...

Right on BZ. Enjoy your down time. I love the scenery up there. I haven't visited that area in a long time.

I got about 25 days 14 hours and 45 minutes until I get some vacation time (Not that I'm counting down or anything). We are going to spend it in a cabin up in the mountains....

Sun Oct 31, 05:19:00 AM PDT  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Hey, happy birthday and enjoy the vacation!!

Sun Oct 31, 09:31:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Right Truth said...

Great pictures, especially the one from your room and also the bird and starfish. Everyone needs to get away from politics and terror now and then.. Enjoy

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Sun Oct 31, 05:24:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home