This Page

has been moved to new address

Critters And The Sea

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bloviating Zeppelin: Critters And The Sea

Bloviating Zeppelin

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Critters And The Sea

I recently traveled to the Monterey Bay with my fiance, stayed in a Santa Cruz motel, then a Monterey motel and shot over 150 photos during this trip. I've grown tired of politics for now; I would rather post some of my photos of critters and the sea.



At one point I lived in Santa Cruz in 1979; I had forgotten how the dark evening fog obscures one's car windows requiring wipers -- in the midst of summer.

The crashing waves of the California coast -- even the most jaded of persons can become humble here.



How can one not be struck by the innocent eyes of a harbor seal?



The playfulness of pinnipeds, the ingenuity of the average otter?



BZ

5 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

09 23 06

Hey BZ:
I LOVVVVVVVVE seals and ottters. When me and the husband went to Monteray a coupla years back, there were seals bobbing their heads in the water and playing the whole time while we ate dinner at the marina. It was absolutely magical!!!

I am so happy you have experienced this. Clears the mind doesn't it? And yeah, politics and the scariness of the current times are enough to burn the best bloggers out for a while!!! hehehe Have a great upcoming week:)

Sun Sep 24, 12:03:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Mahndisa: does it EVER clear the mind! We saw seals in the marine when we ate at Gilbert's on the wharf, then I got more and higher quality shots from the pier to the east where the commercial fishing companies are located. The otter had found a red octopus and was busy feasting on him. Or maybe an octopus is darker under the water, and only red in color when exposed to the air or dead. In any event, it was vibrant read. In Santa Cruz we watched an otter, on his back in the sea, crack open mussels like dipping into an antipasto tray.

It was all marvelous!

BZ

Sun Sep 24, 10:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Some day I'll learn to spell, as well.

Sun Sep 24, 10:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Gayle said...

BZ, everytime I see your avitar, it cracks me up. I absolutely love it! :)

I loved these pictures as well. Seals are wonderful creatures. I almost envy them; they swim in an enviroment they love (at least most of the time) and they don't have to worry about terrorists. I do realize they have their worries, but I guess everything on the planet does. Seals remind me of puppies, except they're wet!

Sun Sep 24, 04:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Gayle: there's absolutely NOTHING like the total and complete freedom these animals enjoy in their ignorant bliss. Theirs is such a simple and basic life. It cannot get more complicated.

As opposed to us.

Which is why it is so completely LIBERATING to watch them roll, swim and cavort in the environment to which they are so well suited.

This made me realize: these animals are not things I see in a book. They are here and they are now and I can see them and photograph them and they are as close as my lens. They are more common than I imagined.

How wonderful is that?

BZ

Sun Sep 24, 07:26:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home