This Page

has been moved to new address

On The Road Again

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Bloviating Zeppelin: On The Road Again

Bloviating Zeppelin

(in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Monday, January 12, 2009

On The Road Again

And now our adventure ends, for there is an ending to everything under God's heavens.

My apologies for the lack of accompanying photographs, but once I get back to my home town I'll sort through the roughly 200+ photos I took and post some ocean shots.  We were quite fortunate insofar as it appeared to have rained the day we arrived at the ocean, on Thursday the 8th, but the rest of the time it was clear, beautiful and sunny.  The temperatures never did fall below about 50, and the highs were in the 60s. Altogether, a beautiful journey, my wife had a very nice birthday (and I had a very nice surprise!) but, alas, as I write this at 8:45 Monday morning, it is time to leave.

Each time I get here, I find it more and more difficult to leave.  I have gotten to grow quite fond of this very small town of about 4,000 people.  Once a heavy fishing and logging town, those years are far behind though it tries to capitalize on them whenever possible.  It has always managed to endure through hard times and, yet while it has expanded a bit, it has never encountered what one would term an explosion of population.  That is both good and bad.  Good for the residents, bad for its economy.  The town has many shuttered businesses in its downtown area and, with the current economy what it is, the business people are suffering more.  Unemployment is high.  Since now and May of 2008, the last time we visited, even more businesses are gone.  Restaurants have changed although that in and of itself is encouraging.  At least they're not all gone completely.

The town is, in general, liberal in leaning and yet rife with blue collar workers as well.  There still are fishermen left.  There still is a small harbor replete with multiple fishing boats that still fish.  It has a foghorn at the harbor mouth, red and green marker buoys in the channel.  There is a Coast Guard presence for a real purpose.  It is a town packed with real people unlike, in my opinion, its sister tourist town, Mendocino.  Mendocino is, don't get me wrong, a gorgeous and quaint little town.  But, to me, though gorgeous, it's false.  Too cute, unreal.  Everyone on vacation wants to go there and that is fine with me.  

The ocean has its grip on me as well.

As I write, a small black bird stands on the wooden railing along with his pal, a brown seagull.  Both are awaiting whatever I might spare: some bread, maybe a crumpled potato chip.

It the meantime, the waves crash, the rollers coming in a predictable and awesome series, never stopping.  Simply crashing.  Continuously.  It's a stunning and gorgeous sight and I feel I could never tire of the sound.  The waves and the sounds are, to me, hypnotizing, mesmerizing.

I could just sit and watch the ocean, just watch it, listen to it, and never tire of it.

If I had my millions, I'd drop everything I was doing and buy a small home directly adjacent the sea, so I could watch and listen to my friend.

Time to go.  Checkout time is here.  Time to pack the car.

A very heavy sigh, this time.  

An ending.

BZ

7 Comments:

Blogger A Jacksonian said...

Much like how I felt leaving Buffalo... so much good and interesting, but the place wasn't offering opportunities. What do you call a moderate sized city where the State University is the largest employer? A city that used to have Bethelhem and Worthington and Westinghouse... all gone, now. They tore down the factory that made the P-40 and other aircraft, that my father worked in when Westinghouse owned it... now its gone and the history fades. The greatest people able to pull together during the worst mother nature could throw at them, and more and better restaurants for its size than any other place I've visited...

Even with poor health and hating winter, if I could only have found a job there... that time is passed. Now I live in places but am only a resident and temporary, no matter how long I stay.

I left Buffalo.

But it will never leave me.

Mon Jan 12, 02:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

Be safe.

Mon Jan 12, 07:45:00 PM PST  
Blogger Average American said...

Nothing so soothing for the soul as a quite stretch of ocean front with no other humans around. A lifetime would be to short. I envy you this trip. I only get to the coast once a year or so, no wheres near enough. Soon my spare time will be most of my time and THAT will change. We await your pictures, no pressure or anything though. Just hurry up with it, will ya!

Mon Jan 12, 11:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger NEO, SOC said...

I could not tell if you were Dickens or Keating for a second there. LOL!

"it was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

I am just ticked that you didn't invite me!

Tue Jan 13, 03:23:00 AM PST  
Blogger shoprat said...

I'm glad you're enjoying this. In these tough times you need a break every now and then.

Tue Jan 13, 06:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Rivka said...

Thanks for taking us with you in a way and letting us in on the beauty of it. Sitting here in the midwest in the COLDER THAN USUAL AL GORE weather it is nice vicariously living through you! ;)

Tue Jan 13, 09:37:00 AM PST  
Blogger Z said...

GORGEOUS photos there, BZ.....

Tue Jan 13, 10:30:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home